Monday, February 22, 2010

25 years ago, a new life changed my old life ...

This past Friday a special milestone was reached in my life. It was my 25th anniversary of understanding that unconditional love was actually part of the human potential. See, on February 19, 1985 my daughter Megan was born ... and so was I. At least the part of me that anyone really cares about. Or should care about, to be honest.

The first time I touched Megan, lying there in her little incubator after Kathy's C-section delivery, I reached through the hole in the plastic and I touched her using my little finger because I was so afraid of doing something wrong or hurting her. Even now, after 25 years have passed - after all the life experiences that a quarter of a century can lay on a guy's head and heart - I still remember that moment like it was yesterday. For a moment time stood still, and when my little finger made contact, it was like everything that was wrong or out of place for the 32 years I'd lived prior to that moment was all just a crazy path leading up to that split second. It didn't matter how I got there, I was there - the penultimate fresh start. Kathy had given me the greatest gift I'll ever receive this side of Heaven, and I knew it and I felt it. I had no idea it would be so much fun ... or I probably would have exploded and flown around the room backwards. I don't think it happened in the original 7 day plan, but on 2-19-85 God said, "Let there be fun", and thus He brought Megan into my life ... and the smiles went forth and multiplied!

So, you know how in Romans 8 the Bible explains to us how nothing "in all creation will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord"? On my 25th anniversary of Megan's birth, I can tell you that I actually do understand that, and it just keeps growing. To believe that God loves me even more than the love I discovered 25 years ago is the most life affirming message I could ever possibly understand. Thanks, Megan. Thanks, Kathy. Without you, I might still be wondering if that was really a possibility, but now, more than ever, I know its true. And Lily, you're just a little booster shot of Vitamin Love, too, baby!!

2 comments: